Powered By Blogger

Monday, November 1, 2010

Yonder Mountain String Band @ Higher Ground. Wednesday, 10.27.10

I never tire of Yonder Mountain String Band's unique sound.  They're at the top of the heap of string bands.  Each member incredible in their own right and when assembled they turn into something much bigger - like the Voltron of bluegrass or something.  Four part, honey drenched harmonies out in front of virtuostic playing was just what the doctor ordered for an unseasonably warm late October night. 

They peppered in some new tunes around long standing crowd pleasers like '40 Miles To Denver' and 'Kentucky Mandolin'.  I love the energy of their shows.  It is easy to get caught up in a ho-down clique and stomp away the mid-week workin' man's blues.  Tonight was no exception, the energy was high throughout the first set where they whipped the crowd into a bunch of dancing maniacs.  The second set started with a dedication to Phish after Jeff Austin gushed about how much he loved them and how transcendental the Manchester show was the night prior.  They rounded out their night with a flawless segue of Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere > Traffic Jam > After Midnight > Traffic Jam. 

Download the show for a small cost here http://www.yondermountainlive.com/live-music/0,5669/Yonder-Mountain-String-Band-mp3-flac-download-10-27-2010-Higher-Ground-South-Burlington-VT.html



**Disclaimer - cranky old man rant ahead.**

I really love their music but I must say, Yonder has the worst effing crowd next to Railroad Earth.  Perhaps I am just getting old, but I thought blugrass/string based music WAS for old people.  I have no idea what the hell it is about acoustic, bluegrass, string based bands but the a-holes come out for them in droves.  I am the first dude to be super fired up to be at a show, dance as if no one is watching, blah blah blah, but these concert goers tend to be completely unaware.  I have been to tons of shows and this is by far the stinkiest crowd as well.  I often wonder if some of the fans own actual vats of patchouli oil as it permeates every fiber of my head.  ::Hops off soapbox::

No comments:

Post a Comment